Squirrels Love Fruit - My New Trees


The backyard project is finally feeling like there will eventually be an end. It's taken a long time, I still have a ways to go, but it's getting there. I've been chomping at the bit to get some things planted. Staring at bare dirt for so long was really making me feel sad about my yard. 


So, we went to the nursery to buy some trees. I really should have taken some pics of the process of bringing them home, but we were in such a hurry to get them loaded, I didn't get a chance. 

I bought 2 xylosma (15 gal), 1 flowering plum (15 gal), 1 blenheim apricot (5 gal), 1 honey crisp apple (5 gal) and 1 lime (5 gal) and 6 bags of soil conditioner as our clay dirt, otherwise known as red concrete, isn't quite right for growing anything, much less a fruit producing tree. 

The 5 gallon plants were no problem laying down in the back of my car, but the 15's were huge. Chris's Honda Element Leeloo is a work horse. She takes us camping, has helped him move his entire apartment and other various activities. She was put to good use again today. 

I laid down the small trees and a couple bags of dirt in my car, easy peasy. 

Getting three huge trees and 4 more bags of dirt fit in Chris's car, but they were hanging 6 feet out the back. Needless to say, we had to take all side roads going home. No freeway for these trees. 

But we made it! Over the course of the last week, I've chipped away at enough dirt to actually dig holes big enough to plant the fruit trees. I had some landscapers here this week doing a mow strip for the back lawn (that's a whole other story, which will be another post), but I had them dig holes for the 15'ers. They are just too huge and I just don't have the time or inclination to dig those out. 

Here's my trees so far! 

Blenheim Apricot
These are my favorite apricots. They remind me of being a kid and my mom making jars and jars of apricot marmalade. As an adult, I really enjoy eating them just as they are right off the tree or drying them. I may take a stab at canning them as marmalade too once they start producing fruit in a few years. 

Asian Pear 
I've had this in a pot for 6-7 years and it was starting to really produce some good fruit. Unfortunately in the heat, I let it get too dry and it dropped all of it's fruit. Now that it has a permanent home, I'm excited to see what next year brings. The pears that come off of this tree are delicious!  

Honeycrisp Apple
These are my favorite apples, but the last time I bought some at Costco, they were $17 for 10 apples. Wow!! Can't wait for these to start producing some fruit. 

Persion Lime
otherwise known as the bartenders lime or Bearss Lime
This already has some fruit on it. Cant' wait to try it in some fresh guacamole, salsa or in a beer. 




SaveSaveSaveSave

Comments