The Patio - creating an outdoor living space

The backyard patio...
I knew I wanted to make this the entire length of the house. It's really an extension of the indoor living space and I love to be outdoors. How big can we make this? BIG! Let's do this! 


Here's what the patio area looked like when I was buying the house. One of the only before pics I have. It's not very photogenic and I was trying to just "deal" with it. Nope. that didn't last long. 
I interviewed a few concrete contractors and finally chose one that came highly recommended from one of the surgeons I work for. His dad is a contractor and this is his concrete guy. 

During the deconstruction, we are having one of the wettest winters on record. The drains are not draining and some are removed, so it created a bit of a swimming pool. 

Who decided that this was a good design anyway? I had them install an in ground drain here and hide this. Drains much better now. 

The rain is clearing, so they are doing demo on the back patio. 

Slowly but surely it's going away. I won't miss this ugly patch of grass in between the two patios either. Impossible to mow and the sprinklers don't water everything. 

Also creating a sidewalk to the shed. It's been interesting driving the lawnmower over rocks and up to the top of the slab to put it away. Can't wait for that to be easier. 

Framing!

The concrete pump is no joke. These guys know what they are doing. This stuff is shooting out of here at an alarming pace. There is a huge crew and they are keeping up. 

Looks like fun! 
Well, fun for me. I'm in the kitchen just watching...

Smooth away! 

Several truck loads of concrete were needed to complete the job. Here they are working on the next section. 

It's all poured and now they are just smoothing and scoring in relief joints. 

Woohoo! I have a sidewalk!

Doing a great job guys!

I got to choose some details about the edging. I like how it's coming out. 

And here it is... Many days of bare feet, evening get together and chill time will be had on this space. 
I can't wait! 

Comments