Mow Strip - Part 1 - FAIL

It's time for the next step in the backyard remodel. The mow strip! 
After this is installed, I can put in all of the dirt to level the backyard and I'll be one step closer to completion.


I had several bids, but being that this was as seemingly simple project, I went with the lesser expensive option from some of the guys I had hired to do some labor around the yard. It's just a mow strip right?  First mistake...

when checking on the progress, I was sent this photo. Oh no! That's not how I wanted this part shaped. I quickly ran home on my lunch hour to have the forms moved. 

I also drew a picture and sent it to them. They were already moving it by the time I got home. 

They were then put into this shape. Much better, although I really wanted the right side parallel to the main strip. So hard to give directions with a language barrier and while I'm at work...

I wasn't planning on having it poured today, it's 100+ degrees outside and already afternoon. 
But the landscaper called and said he was leaving another job and had the concrete trailer ready to go and could come by and finish this. I said yes, but I wouldn't be there, still at work. 
That was my second mistake...
I got a completion photo and from afar, it looked fine.

When I got home however, it was a different story. It's all very crooked

Uneven edges as well as the top 

Unevenness along the edges where you can clearly see the forms. 

big voids

lots of cracking everywhere

more voids

voids and cracks. 

I've learned a thing or two during the entire process of updating both  the inside and outside of my house. I do as much as I can do myself because I trust the quality of my work. Sometimes the work is outside the scope of my capabilities. When that happens, I need to be more careful and hire the right people. I made a bad judgement call here based on money and I got what I paid for. 

Now to figure out how to fix this problem. Looks as if I'll have to have it removed and start over.... 

To be continued...

Comments